Smith Map, 1879;
GLO , 1921
Sp. "devil's canyon." Heads in southwest corner, T. 17 N., R. 10 E. At northeast side of Hutch mountain. P.O. and R. R. Station on A. T. & S. F. R. R. 26 miles west of Winslow. Canyon is 256 feet deep at railroad bridge. Enters Little Colorado river 6 miles northwest of Leupp. Is generally dry excepting in rainy season or when snow in the mountains is melting.
"Dec. 13, 1853: We were surprised to find at our feet a chasm probably 100 feet deep and 300 across. Descent was impossible. We followed the right bank to its junction with the Colorado Chiquito and camped. . . . . The canyon has been named Canyon Diablo." Wheeler. Beale crossed it on Apr 11, 1857, he writes: "It is appropriately named, being a deep chasm with perpendicular rock sides. It might be easily bridged."
When the A & P. R. R. came to this canyon in Nov., 1881, work was held up for some time by lack of bridge materials. E. E. Ayer had a huge shipment of material for his proposed saw mill at Flagstaff. He built a road across the canyon and hired ox teams to haul the stuff. P. O established Nov. 15, 1886, Chas. H Algert, P.M.