Gregory Map, 1916.
Sp.., "Pretty" creek about 5 miles long; rises in Quartzite canyon, flows southwest into Black creek. Fort Defiance is located on this stream from which the fields about it are irrigated. Ives called it "Canyon Bonito," in 1857; "the walls are abrupt, with brilliant and varied colors. Toward the south they form what has been most appropriately called 'Canyon Bonito.'" Ives. Gregory refers to it sometimes as "Canyon Bonito" at others as "Bonito creek."