Eckhoff Map, 1880;
McClintock Map in Mormon Settlement
Small hamlet west side Little Colorado 2 miles north of Winslow. Started by a colony of Mormons under Jesse Ballenger in 1876. First called Ballenger. In Sept., 1878, changed to Brigham City, "in honor of the first President of the Church." The Mormons built an excellent stone fort here which was torn down a pottery factory here which turned out a very fair grade of crocks, bowls and other such articles.
In January, 1879, place had a population of 277. There was a water power grist mill here, built in 1878 which was later hauled up to Woodruff but never rebuilt. The old machinery lay in heap near Woodruff but never rebuilt. The old machinery lay in a heap near Woodruff for many years. Brigham City was abandoned about 1888 by all but one or two families. Brigham City was a mail station on the historic Star route mail line between Santa Fe and Prescott. Stage line swung by Brigham City, and went on west through the Sunset pass. The grist mill mentioned was donated by the Mormon Church authorities in Utah "to the settlements on the Little Colorado river in Arizona. The Church sent it to Brigham City where it was set up and began turning out flour May 23, 1878." Fish Ms. P.O. established April 10, 1878. James T. Woods, P. M.