USGS map, 1923
Sp., "forest, grove." Station S. P. R. R. There was a heavy growth of Ironwood and Mesquite here. About 35 miles west of Maricopa. "Station established 1895 when the Phoenix Wood and Coal Co. began cutting wood on the desert near here and shipping it to Phoenix. The author was a member of the firm. The wood cutters were arrested by the U. S. Marshal "for cutting timber on government land" and some 5,000 cords of wood lying near this switch were seized by the Federal government. Matter finally adjusted, the wood released and after that the Government was paid 25 cents an acre for "cutting timber on public lands."