Rieckers Map, 1880; U. S. G. S. 1923.
Sp. "pretty." In T. 10 S., R. 23 E. P. O. and ranch of early days 5 or 6 miles southwest of Fort Grant. So named by Miles L. Wood, after Sierra Bonita mountains, name, often given the Graham range. This place was a "dead fall" hangout where soldiers from Fort Grant went for recreation and excitement - and generally found it. Was just outside the military reservation. P. O. established Feb. 25, 1884, Ed. Hooker, P. M.