Map, Apache N. F., 1926
In T. 6 N., R. 28 E. Large natural lake on east slope of Mount Thomas (Baldy) which in early days had no visible outlet. In recent years it has been tapped by an irrigation ditch. In early days herds of wild game, deer, elk, and others stood belly deep in the water to escape the deer flies, which hovered over them in swarms. The author has seen cattle and game animals in the late Eighties, standing in the lake in almost solid herds to avoid the winged pests. They would hardly stir out of their tracks so absorbed were they in protecting themselves.